Monday, March 26, 2012

Fish-mageddon









  Early last week I spotted Black-tailed Gulls fighting over some dead fish in the salt-water canal next to my apartment. A few days later I walked along the canal and spotted several hundred more dead fish, which the gulls were now leaving alone, probably wisely. Over the weekend, I was appalled to see thousands of dead and dying fish in the canal.
  The canal is bordered by farm fields, and the farmers have been covering the fields in fertilizer and pesticides lately. I'm guessing the runoff from the fields, which drains directly into the canal, is what's killing off the fish. Koreans were looking at me like I was strange for taking pictures of the dead fish. I, in turn, thought they were strange for not being alarmed at the thousands of dead fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment